Now that I've embarked on this endeavor I thought I should look up the word single. I am happy to report that what I found is rather empowering.
According to thesaurus.com, the first entry definition for single is, of course, alone. But the second definition is distinct and the third is simply not married. It goes on to list a myriad of fabulous synonyms including:
distinguished, exceptional, exclusive, individual, indivisible, original, particular, peerless, personal, private, rare, seperate, sole, solitary, special, specific, uncommon, unrivaled, eligible, free, unique and without equal
Now granted I've published many of the positive connotations here. This research is also a good litmus test as to where you are on the single scale. Clearly I have not lost hope since I was drawn to these synonyms. If you are drawn to the ones below, which were also listed, you may be well past cynical on your way to a nunnery.
isolated, lone, loner, odd, only, restricted, secluded, separate, seperated, simple, singled out, strange, unusual, and companionless
Interesting Discovery: I was voted most unique senior year of high school. I wonder if that means I am destined to be single.
Lesson Learned: Next time someone asks me the irritating question "Why are you single" I will reply with: Because I am exceptionally rare and unique and have yet to find my equal.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like that answer! I might steal it, but then I wouldn't be all that unique ;)
ReplyDelete