Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No I'm not pregnant!

Why is it that anytime a single gal is not feeling well, the first thing people ask is "are you pregnant?" No I'm not pregnant! I could have a sinus infection or food poisoning or swine flu or PMS for goodness sake. Don't lie, you know you have at least one friend or coworker that when she complained she wasn't feeling well, or came in late to work you didn't wonder. The assumption is worse on college campus'. Everytime I went to the health clinic at both of my universities they always did a pregnancy test. I'm not kidding. One time I stepped on a rusty nail and needed a tetnis shot. What did they do first? A pregnancy test! It didn't matter that they were the same doctors or nurse practinioners that prescribed my birth control pills and gave out condoms instead of lollipops. It didn't matter that I was smart enough to get into these institutions and therefore, probably capable enough to remember to take a pill everyday. But no, the most logical explanation for all my symptoms was pregnancy. It couldn't possilbly have been the cafeteria food.


When you stop to think about this question you realize that it's really a terrible insult. You're basically accusing the person of sleeping around. The subtext is

Single Gal: "Sorry I'm late, I had an upset stomach this morning"

Coworker: "How many guys did you sleep with last month and would you know who the father was if I turn out to be right?"


Lesson Learned: The next time a single gal confides in you that she is not feeling well start by asking if she has a hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment